One hundred years of history

“As a child I went there and there was this beautiful factory, small yet beautiful …”
(Lucia Bosisio)


Foundation of the workshop in viale Montello in Milan

On 29 June 1911, Giuseppe Bosisio (1868-1946) founded his company in a modest Milanese workshop in Viale Montello. In the window, he displayed bronze lettering, crucifixes, votive lamps and other sacred ornaments. In the back of the shop, he set up a small workshop where he created his models. During the First World War, the Italian economy ground to a painful halt. Giuseppe Bosisio and his son, Riccardo (1901-1983), re-launched the company, and in 1925, published their first catalogue, a complete work that contained their entire artistic production. The great technical innovation was die-casting that allowed the mass production of small items. Hundreds of steel moulds were created for the production of lettering, frames, lamps and vases; artisanship was transformed into industry.


Factory in Via General Govone in Milan

In 1938, the new factory in Via General Govone was established on an area measuring 2,500 m2. Production was not limited to die-casting but ranged from chill to lost wax casting. The ancient art of lost wax casting dates back to some 3,000 years ago and became the crowning achievement of the company. In fact, during these years, the greatest sculptors from the Italian 20th century crafted prestigious models forming an authentic gallery of sacred art by famous names. The factory in Via General Govone was hit by the bombardments of the Second World War, causing the factory to suffer but the business managed to survive. During the post war period, reconstruction started and Riccardo Bosisio invested in the sector opening new sales points in Italy and abroad.


Factory in Cernusco sul Naviglio (Milan)

Riccardo Bosisio purchased 40,000 m2 of industrial land where he built the new premises designed by the famous architect, Giò Ponti. In 1962, the new factory in Cernusco sul Naviglio was inaugurated on the doorstep of Milan; these premises were more suited to the development plans of the company. Giuseppe Bosisio, the oldest son of Riccardo Bosisio and grandson of the original Giuseppe Bosisio joined the administration of the company. The ‘Fonderie d’arte Bosisio’ trademark is acknowledged all over the world for its artistic value and the high quality of its products.


Factory in Locate di Triulzi (Milan)

During the nineties, Riccardo and Barbara (the children of Giuseppe Bosisio) join the company. Together they develop the funerary art market targeting the cemetery construction sector in a broader and more global vision of the cemetery. In 2004, Adonella Bosisio (Riccardo and Barbara’s sister) joined the company. In 2009, the new premises in Locate di Triulzi were opened. In 2011 the historic Bosisio artistic foundry, active since 1911 and guided by the fourth generation of the family, celebrated its centenary.